Friday, October 15, 2010

Wurstkuche in Los Angeles, CA


A quick detour to LA to taste the fries at Wurstkuche. I tried to look up the meaning of Wurstkuche but I can't find it, although their motto is "Purveyor of Exotic Grilled Sausages." However, some have been known to come here for the fries alone.
The menu states that the fries are "Double dipped," which I interpret to mean they are fried twice. You can order 2 different sizes: Klein (small, with one dipping sauce) or Groot (large, with two dipping sauces). I opted for the Klein.

There are many dipping sauces to choose from:
Sweet and Sassy BBQ, Buttermilk Ranch, Thai Peanut, Tzatzkiki (greek yogurt sauce), Chipotle Ketchup, Curry Ketchup, Bleu Cheese Walnut and Bacon, Sundried Tomato Mayo, Chipotle Aioli, Pesto Mayo.

You can also order White Truffle Oil Glaze on top for an extra $1.50

I ordered my Klein with the Pesto Mayo and kept life simple.

The portion size was just right, and the fries were beautiful to look at and arrived piping hot. I must say that these fries are cut quite thickly, so there is a lot more potato inside as opposed to the types of fries I am used to--equal parts fried-outside to soft-potato-inside. These are hearty fries and I am definitely more of the shoestring type, so please keep this in mind when reading my ratings below. (I am also waffling on the final rating, because they were obviously high quality fries, but personally, wide fries are just not my favorite.) I did enjoy them, ate every last one, and if I was in the hood I would probably not be averse to coming back to try them again.




Price:$3.50
Portion Size: Medium
Texture: Crispy on outside, soft--and a lot of potato--on the inside
Greasiness Level: 3 out of 5 (slightly greasy)
Seasoning: Just a tad bit underseasoned, but I suppose that's what the dipping sauce is for
Fried in: Some sort of vegetable oil
Condiments: So many to choose from (see review above)
Also, a few types of different mustards on the table, salt, pepper

Overall Quality of French Fries: 7.25 out of 10



2 comments:

  1. wurstkuche roughly translates from german to sausage kitchen. The kuche is missing the umlaut over the u. but y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks!! There is an umlaut, I just can't find it on my keyboard...

    ReplyDelete