Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Gott's Roadside, San Francisco, CA


Gott's (for some reason Blogger won't let me make this a link, but it's: www.gotts.com in case you're interested) used to be Taylor's Automatic Refresher in the Ferry Building. At Taylor's I used to be able to get a grilled cheese, but not anymore. Supposedly the Taylor family was not amused at the Gotts' family name-changing decision. More importantly: For the non-burger lover--why get rid of the simple (yet overpriced) grilled cheese? And, hi!, on the day I'm craving fish 'n chips, I discover that Gott's got rid of that too. Like the Taylors, so not amused.

In any event, the fries were pretty good. I was sort of disappointed sitting up at the counter and watching someone pour out frozen fries from a giant brown bag, but I guess not every fry can be freshly hand-cut.

The fries themselves were pretty hot, but I don't think they were the freshest. Like everything else, they were sitting on the counter for a long time, and then quickly re-heated in the heat-blaster (which is fine, I mean, I use a microwave. But all that food sitting up there was pretty yukky to watch in person). Pretty good crispiness on the outside, decent chew and softness on the inside.

And PS: Whoever ordered those salads that sat on the counter for literally 45 minutes or more--when the fry team left, they were still there--I feel sorry for you.

+++

Price: $2.89
Portion Size: Medium
Texture: Slightly crispy on outside, soft in the mid-section.

Greasiness Level: 3 out of 5 (standard grease level)
Seasoning: Okay
Fried In: Some sort of 100 percent vegetable oil

Condiments: salt, pepper, ketchup

Overall Quality of French Fries: 6.75 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment