Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lake Chalet Seafood Bar & Grill in Oakland, CA Part 2



This is Part 2 of the Lake Chalet fry review, which concentrates on the sweet potato fries, which I thought were wonderful. Again, ordered during Happy Hour (3-6 PM and then 9PM to closing), I felt that for $3.00, the price was fair. And I would probably pay the normal $6.00 without much complaint, although I feel that is quite a lot to pay for a medium size portion of fries.

The sweet potato fries seemed to be coated in a light batter, which I'm not sure added anything to the flavor, but probably helped amp up the crispness.
Again, these were under-seasoned, but very well cooked--crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

They were served with something the waitress called "Herb Saint," a salad dressing made in-house, which sort of makes me wonder if they were purposely under-seasoned--because they are meant to be eaten with the dressing.

Herbsaint (which is probably not pronounced HERB-SAYNT, the way the waitress did), according to Wikipedia, is "a brand name of anise-flavored liquor," which apparently is placed in this dressing, causing it to have a slight chemical undertone (I'm not sure if "undertone" is being used correctly here--English teachers, please let me know!). I did not find the dressing disagreeable, although other members of the research team were immediately offended by the flavors, calling it "weird" and claiming that the anise flavor was not as subtle as I believed, and was in fact, "right up front."

I did ask for ketchup and salt to go with these fries as well, and that helped kick up the flavor a bit. Overall, I was satisfied.


Price: $3.00
Portion Size: Medium
Texture: Crispy outside with soft potato inside
Greasiness Level: 1 out of 5 (meaning not greasy at all; very little oil left behind on fingers)
Seasoning: None?
Fried in: Some sort of vegetable oil (didn't bother to ask)
Could not determine: whether or not they were coated in thin batter
Accompanied by Condiments: Herbsaint Dressing

Overall Quality of French Fries: 7 out of 10

1 comment: